Ultimate Guide to Renter's Home Security
Advancements in technology have changed the home security game forever. For decades home security systems were limited solely to homes and businesses because of installation methods and procedures. Now, several premiere home security agencies offer technology geared toward renters in apartments, town homes, and condos.
Wireless, cellular equipment allows renters to install home security equipment on their own time with no holes, drills, or hammers. Best of all the equipment and monitoring fees are completely affordable!
Why We Advocate Home Security Systems For Renters
- According to the National Crime Prevention Council, the organization best known for McGruff the Crime Dog®, apartments are 84% more likely to be victimized by burglaries than other types of housing.
- Renters identified (44%) installing deadbolts as the most common protective measure in their apartments. Twenty-five percent arm themselves with mace or pepper spray and 23 percent use light timers.
- In the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s “Crime in the United States” Report in 2011, Victims of burglary offenses suffered an estimated $4.8 billion in lost property in 2011; overall, the average dollar loss per burglary offense was $2,185.
- Burglaries of residential properties accounted for 73.9 percent of all burglary offenses.
- In 2011, there were an estimated 2,188,005 burglaries—an increase of 0.9 percent when compared with 2010 data.
Why Home Security is Especially Important For Renters
Consider this: most renters do not own or have any home insurance coverage. In an event of a burglary (which occurs every 8 seconds) those without insurance will not be reimbursed nor covered by their landlords. The average burglary costs its victims $2185. The average home security systems costs less than $40/month to monitor and in some cases can be as cheap as $30 that’s the equivalent of a gym membership!
Which System is Best For a Renter?
If you are renting an apartment, town home, or condo it’s essential you buy a wireless home security system. These systems do not require holes or heavy installation and in most cases install with adhesive strips. Wireless cellular systems are cutting edge and provide the best security for any renter. These are some things to make sure you have with your system.
- wireless cellular system
- precautions for control panel being damaged
- includes a panic button feature
- system can be moved to new location